Home

After reviewing our images to be put into the publication today, it was pointed out to us that the images could all be a lot more interesting and visually pleasing which would then make it more pleasing to the eye for the viewer and also double as more work for how images work within our FMPs. We took on board this advice and collectively decided to either edit our images or experiment with them using the photocopier. These are the images that I chose to put forward to the publication. 

In the end when deciding on the order of the images, we thought it would be best to include 4 images each for each stage of the book. As these are my best images, I wanted to include these. The three images would have meant that we would not have had an even number to print. I edited my images in photoshop to be improved as they seemed quite boring in black, and as this is one of the colours we had decided to print in, along with navy blue and light blue, I wanted to make them have a more loose, free and fun feeling to them if I could not change the colour. I edited them to create a more interesting image, keeping in mind that we were going to use the risograph to print them, I thought that this method would make for an eye catching image in our chosen media. 

finallionfinal

For the research images I deleted some of the backgrounds, and also duplicated the layers in order to create a textured effect. At this point we had decided on printing using the risograph and so I edited my images with this in mind, because I had a rough idea that the outcome would be interesting in just one colour.

giraffefinalbearfinal

I took the same approach to my development images but also rotated and layered them to make a whole new image. I had the idea of collage on my mind whilst doing this, but wanted it to feel a bit crazy and messy as it was just an experimentation image. Of the two, I prefer the bear image because of the contrast between the black and white and also the contrast between the marks of the fur and the dark black circles as I feel like this image really stands out to me. I already preferred these images to the original versions which I was going to contribute to the book.

I then gave these images to Aby and Jen who were experimenting with the images using the photocopier by playing with scale and colour and in some cases, adding textures. I really liked what came from this and so wanted to keep these textures and sizes overlapping my images as I thought this was lots more visually pleasing, and the others also really liked the look of this, so this is the technique we adopted for everyones work to make it look like one collabrorative piece of work as a group effort, rather than throwing separate, very different looking work together. We changed the colours to be grayscale for the research stage, and navy blue and light blue for the development stage as these worked beautifully together and we all liked the look of it.

Helen and myself went to get the materials that we needed for the book, and we bought A1 matte black card for the covers and 11 pages of off white cartridge paper as this is what the group as a whole had chosen. This was enough to make the 9 copies of the book (one for each person involved) that we needed when cut down to the correct size.

After this, Aby and myself checked the order of the images to see how they now looked in out chosen colours, and the whole group decided that we needed to change the order, as they didn’t work as well together now as they had when in colour. We made up a new order and dummy book, and planned out how we needed to photocopy this in order to make sure they they came out in the right order. Our way of working was to make a dummy book and number the images so that we would be able to fold the pages down the middle which would then make it easier when it comes to binding tomorrow. We worked in the order of last image and first image on one page, and then working towards the middle so that the page right in the middle would be pages 9 and 10 of each book.

We asked what everyone thought of how we had ordered the images and everyone was happy with this, so we then went ahead and used the printer to print out the final pages for both the research stage and development stage and ordered them so that they are ready to be bound tomorrow.

IMG_2403IMG_2404

The reason why we went against using the risograph was because we needed to save time as we did not have enough time to make the images into two layers and then re-print them, and another reason being that we were told that as the ink sits on top of the paper instead of sinking in when using the risograph, this makes it very easy to smudge the ink and this would not be beneficial of our works as it is not the look we are going for. We were all happy to print out using the printer because after seeing it on the cartridge paper, it made the images even better than they would have looked using the risograph.

We are all vey pleased with the way that the pages have printed onto the cartridge paper, and they are currently ready to be bound together tomorrow morning. The poster has been changed a lot, so we were going to have a vote tomorrow on which everyone favours, and then these will be printed and put up tomorrow, ready for the exhibition on Monday.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s